Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More on the Weekend

Here are some shots I took while at the BFA on Saturday. It was a really beautiful place and a spectacular day.

Two stories

I was sitting in my booth getting used to the whole event and a young mother came in with her child in a stroller and mother in tow. She walked up to the Oxford Cottage painting on the easle and asked where the cottage was. I said Oxford, Maryland. She had a really puzzled look on her face and said, "That was my grandparent's farm." We chatted for a few minutes and I said she "had to have it." She agreed and purchased the painting, asking if she could leave it there while she went around to the other booths.

After a while, when she didn't return, I asked my sister-in-law and BFA volunteer--the fabulous Adrienne Mayberry--to check if she had processed her credit card. She called back about the same time that the woman arrived with a sad look on her face.

She was having some buyer's regret and had seen a photo of the Eastern Shore that was less expensive. I said, no offense to the photographer, but this picture had waited for a year in an Oxford restuarant unpurchased to come here and meet her. With this painting you get the only one--an original--and a story. She was sold.

Second story:

On Wednesday before the event, I was on FB and for some reason was able to see a post that one friend from college left on another former roomate's photo. I reconnected with the old roommate and his wife (also an old Mount friend) and was very happy for that little surprise.

Before leaving for BFA, I posted a general invitation to "come on down and visit" to my wall.

They did! I was overjoyed to see them and Lisa and I chatted it up for about an hour about kids, etc. As they prepared to move on to the rest of the festival, Bill--a man of few words--said, "I want that one." He pointed to the Canoe painting. So it now resides in Wallingford, PA.

This was my first festival in a very long time. I do a lot of freelance illustration and commissions where I make artwork to other people's specifications. This was my largest (althought very small) effort displaying my artwork created to express my point of view. It was well-received and I am overjoyed that the two paintings went to people with a connection to the artwork and me.

Once I posted on FB my reason for doing artwork. I hope that some distant relative is inspired to create artwork because they see a piece of work that I created. I continue to explore what this means to me.

Well, I now have to create many more pieces and maybe even some prints for next year's show. The cows are going in the Chesapeake College Art Show and Sale next week. Hope they sell!

No comments:

Post a Comment